Monday, August 19, 2013

On Being Multi-cultural

Today I stood with about 130 other citizens of other countries and took an oath to become an American citizen. I have rarely if ever been in a room of this much diversity!

Right before taking the oath, we were asked to stand up when our country of citizenship would be called. Several dozen countries were represented and I believe I was the only German citizen in the room. What struck me was that I felt an odd camaraderie with every Eastern European that was asked to stand up - not because I grew up associating myself with these countries (Eastern and Western Europe definitely still feels divided that way) but because I kept thinking: Josiah Venture works in that country... and that country... and that country. A large group was from Poland; and Latvia, Romania, and the Ukraine were among the mentioned nationalities.

What a great privilege to be a part of an organization that is spreading the gospel and strengthening local church youth ministries all throughout these European countries!

And what a blessing to now have dual citizenship, which will allow us to minister in Leipzig and yet return for periods of recharging and visiting supporters in the US when needed and without hassle.

What else does being a US citizen mean to me? To be honest, the people I have encountered in this country never made me feel like an outsider and my former status as permanent resident allowed me to be a productive member of the community here. Yet how wonderful to be joined with all of you in another way.

Culture is an interesting thing. While I only became a dual citizen today, I have felt "bi-cultural" for years. I grew up in the Western part of Germany and that comes with a set of values, norms, and world views. Several clash with America's - like quite a few political views - and over the years I have come to fully understand each country's mindset after having lived in both places for a long period of time.

Soon I will add a third culture to that mix. I have been assured by many ministering in former East Germany right now that I will notice cultural differences between the two parts of the country that has now united for years. How excited we are to soak up a new culture as a family and learn its values and views! And hopefully one day, by God's grace, I'll consider myself "tri-cultural"!!

Thank you for your prayers during this application process. They are much appreciated. We hope to write again soon with some good news about the potential growth of our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment