Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Resolutions

Are you sick of weight loss commercials yet? They tend to increase during this time of year, offering opportunities for the numerous people who resolve to change their weight - at least for a month or so.

Joel and I don't really like the concept of NEW YEARS resolutions. After all, shouldn't we resolve to live more like Christ and glorify him during all seasons of the year? However, this year one of our year-round resolves begins with the start of the new year.

I had my last day of work yesterday and am now officially a fundraising stay-at-home Mom. Joel continues to work 20 hours at our church but is no longer involved in the ministry he jump-started last fall. In agreement with the Josiah Venture leadership, we have resolved to spend 20 hours a week on fundraising. That's quite a goal and we intend to keep it year-round!

Dear friends of ours contacted us a few months ago with the resolve to give a very significant percentage of their income to us on a monthly basis starting with this new year. It came at a time of deep discouragement during the fundraising process and not only boosted our monthly total but also our confidence that God can get us to Eastern Germany in 2013.

Would you consider making a monthly financial gift of any size a part of your resolutions this year? And we are not asking for the short lived, guild inspired kind but a commitment that comes from God's calling to be involved in His work across the world. We hope you are giving to missions somewhere and would be honored if you entrusted some of that giving to us and our future ministry in Eastern Germany.

A commitment to pray for us is also tremendously helpful. Here are some ways you can pray for us even now:
- Join us in asking the Lord to send us to Eastern Germany this year!
- Pray for patience, wisdom, and diligence with our time.
- Pray for financial favor with the churches and individuals we contact.
- Above all, pray for God to be glorified in this process and all we do!

Lastly, I hope to leave you with Chapter of Scripture that was an encouragement to me this morning. Meditate on the truth in each line of this Psalm and be encouraged!

Psalm 4 (NLT)
Answer me when I call to you,
O God who declares me innocent.
Free me from my troubles.
Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

How long will you people ruin my reputation?
How long will you make groundless accusations?
How long will you continue your lies? Interlude

You can be sure of this:
The Lord set apart the godly for himself.
The Lord will answer when I call to him.

Don’t sin by letting anger control you.
Think about it overnight and remain silent. Interlude

Offer sacrifices in the right spirit,
and trust the Lord.

Many people say, “Who will show us better times?”
Let your face smile on us, Lord.

You have given me greater joy
than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.

In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment